Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

yield strength

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ethanhal

yield strength Empty
PostSubject: yield strength   yield strength Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm

So I know you said to use an offset of 0.02% or 0.05% and the elastic modulus as the slope in order to calculate the yield strength but how do you find this value because you only have one value of strain and one value of stress that are known. You would set the slope=(y2 -y1)/(x2-x1) where y is stress and x is strain, but you only know the initial strain and initial stress right? So how do you solve for the yield strength if you have two unknowns in this equation?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

yield strength Empty
PostSubject: Re: yield strength   yield strength Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 12:29 am

The offset you use will depend on how you quote your standard, but the offset is the strain that you are going to use. For instance, if your quoted standard is yield with 0.2% offset, you are going to draw a strain line, with the slope of the elastic modulus starting at 0.2% until it intersects the curve, and that will give you the yield stress at 0.2% offset.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com

yield strength
Page 1 of 1