Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

KQ calculations include all sections data?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Roger Graves

KQ calculations include all sections data? Empty
PostSubject: KQ calculations include all sections data?   KQ calculations include all sections data? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey Josh,

Section 2 just got an email stating that they should only use their section's data for the KQ calculations. Is this consistant with ours?

Also, if this is true. What would the other sections data be used for?

Thanks,
Roger
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

KQ calculations include all sections data? Empty
PostSubject: Re: KQ calculations include all sections data?   KQ calculations include all sections data? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 9:19 pm

This is a really great question, and there was some initial confusion regarding it.

I just got some clarification from Professor Thouless about the calculation of uncertainty for Kq:

1) You want to use the perturbation method mentioned in the slides and by Professor Oldham in Friday's lecture to determine the error for each individual Kq value.
2) You WILL use two other sections' data to get their Kq values (and uncertainties).

At the end of the day, you will have 3 Kq values and 3 Kq errors for each aluminum bar thickness. When you plot Kq vs. thickness, you'll obviously just average together the 3 Kq values to get one Kq at each thickness and get the total uncertainty for that value of fracture toughness.

Your lab is using sections 3 and 6 (as well as your own, of course).
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com

KQ calculations include all sections data?
Page 1 of 1