Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

1st Report Format

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sinalex

1st Report Format Empty
PostSubject: 1st Report Format   1st Report Format Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm

What sections do we need to cover in our first report, and when is it due? The foreword and summary sections are submitted individually, do these two sections also need to be included in the final report?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

1st Report Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st Report Format   1st Report Format Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 10:40 pm

So, this lab report is going to be due at the beginning of next week's lab, and yes, you will submit a foreword and summary with the final group report (unless they tell you otherwise tomorrow in lecture). As far as the sections are concerned, I believe that they are going to cover a bit of that in lecture tomorrow, but to some extent this is left for you to figure out. You'll obviously have the foreword and summary to begin, and then you will want to address the tasks that were laid out in the scenario letter. I've already heard a lot of questions from some students in the lab about this and it's a very legitimate concern for all of you. The 'clients' didn't really provide you with any sort of specific reporting format in the scenario letter so as of right now, you as the engineer have a great deal of discretion to decide the best way to present the data to the client to satisfy their requests. I know I'm intentionally being a bit vague here, but that is somewhat the point of the exercise. It's probably reasonable to have your foreword/summary, followed by some kind of discussion and results section where you present the data comparing the measurement devices (could be broken up into sub-sections, etc.) and follow up at the end with conclusions (supported by your data, of course) that effectively and concisely address the issues in the scenario letter. Hopefully this will help out and give you some guidance in how to get started on the report, but hopefully they will address some of these issues tomorrow in lecture as well.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
rholstad

1st Report Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st Report Format   1st Report Format Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:47 pm

the assignment reads: "Each student individually prepares a heading and foreword and uploads it to the C-Tools course site." It doesn't say we need a summary for this lab is this correct?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

1st Report Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st Report Format   1st Report Format Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Yes sorry about that...I probably should have clarified that. I used the wrong terminology when I threw the word summary out there so flippantly.

When in doubt about the TechCom side of the report, always defer to what the TechCom people are telling you, because they have the final say on that part and they are also the ones grading it.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

1st Report Format Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st Report Format   1st Report Format Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1st Report Format
Page 1 of 1