Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GSI Overlord
Admin

Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Empty
PostSubject: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 3:38 pm

I received the following question:

"To calculate the damping coefficient is it sufficient to use, damping ratio = delta / sqrt(4*pi^2 + delta^2), where delta = 1 / n * ln(B1 / Bn+1), and B1 is a peak of the wave followed by Bn+1 being a peak of the wave "n" cycles way, is this an acceptable method to use?"

This is the log-decrement method mentioned in the Lab 2 lecture slides, and is definitely one method to calculate damping ratio. In general, the lectures given on Monday (and to some extent on Friday) are always going to pertain to methods and theory you will need to complete your lab reports. Obviously, the Friday lectures are more geared towards the TechCom side of the report.

Actually, this brings up an overarching issue for a new sticky I will post in the Lab 2 forum that I think everyone should read.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Actually, I'm going to place this all-important sticky in the Administrative Questions category under the Other forum.
Back to top Go down
cjrotman

PostSubject: Calculating Damping Ratio   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

Is the log decrement method the only way to calculate damping ratio for this lab?

I ask because our data for each trial only yields one peak displacement, while this equation requires multiple peak displacements. Does this suggest that we need to re-plot our data in a program such as Matlab and find multiple peak displacements in order to calculate the damping ratio.

That's all. Thanks.

Charlie
Back to top Go down
tuesday ninja

PostSubject: Re: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

cjrotman wrote:
Is the log decrement method the only way to calculate damping ratio for this lab?

I ask because our data for each trial only yields one peak displacement, while this equation requires multiple peak displacements. Does this suggest that we need to re-plot our data in a program such as Matlab and find multiple peak displacements in order to calculate the damping ratio.

That's all. Thanks.

Charlie

You need to do log decrement on the strain vs time curve. Use the peaks of strain to determine log decrement.
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Yep, that's how to do it. You will not be using the FFT to get the damping ratio...use the time-based data.
Back to top Go down
ebreit

PostSubject: for log decrement   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Do any two adjacent peaks work for the log decrement method ie can you use delta=ln(xi/xi+1) for any i?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:22 am

Yes, any two successive, positive peaks will do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method   Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calculating damping ratio using the log-decrement method
Page 1 of 1