Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

formula for coefficient of performance

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GSI Overlord
Admin

formula for coefficient of performance Empty
PostSubject: formula for coefficient of performance   formula for coefficient of performance Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Sorry everyone, I realized in my absentmindedness that I might have written the COP formula backwards during some of my office hours (it is correct in the slides, of course).

COP = Qe/Wcomp, where Qe is the heat addition during the evaporator stage and Wcomp is the work of the compressor (thermodynamic work, NOT electrical work!).

Hopefully people are starting to analyze cycles and looking at COPs to figure out how to get the 'best' cycle from the AC unit.

Last edited by GSI Overlord on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: formula for coefficient of performance   formula for coefficient of performance Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Also, refer to slide 36 in the first lecture for the lab on what thermodynamic quantity you will need to calculate the heat fluxes.
Back to top Go down
sinalex

PostSubject: Re: formula for coefficient of performance   formula for coefficient of performance Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:02 pm

We discussed CoP in lab last week and we talked about the "sanity" checks we could do to make sure that we had reasonable values. You said that you would check your values to see if the values that we got were okay given that we were doing the analysis through ideal conditions. I was wondering if you did anything for that yet?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: formula for coefficient of performance   formula for coefficient of performance Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 6:08 pm

I did check through some of the data that we (the GSIs) collected a couple weeks ago. For our 59 Hz and high fan case we got a COP of about 3.9 (I drew the realistic, non-ideal cycle to make these calculations, so this would be a lower bound).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: formula for coefficient of performance   formula for coefficient of performance Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

formula for coefficient of performance
Page 1 of 1