Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Comparing uncertainty in length measurements

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Taknasty

Comparing uncertainty in length measurements Empty
PostSubject: Comparing uncertainty in length measurements   Comparing uncertainty in length measurements Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am

So for each of the 6 cylinders there are 2 different measurements taken by 3 different devices. What is the best way to graph this data to compare the uncertainty of the different devices of similar readings, seeing as how using the same graph for all 6 cylinders showing the height avg & uncertainty by each of the 3 devices would just cause the plots to be stacked on top of each other. Can you advise me in some direction that eliminate plotting 6 different graphs?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Comparing uncertainty in length measurements   Comparing uncertainty in length measurements Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I think perhaps the most effective way to handle the brass cylinders results and analysis is just to use a table. There are a couple trains of thought here. You could show a table with a row for each measurement device for each cylinder, or you could even have a table that just has one row per measurement instrument and combines the error over all the brass cylinders.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Comparing uncertainty in length measurements   Comparing uncertainty in length measurements Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 5:24 pm

I think the best way to quickly assess which measurement device is 'best' is to probably have the shorter table. Also, make sure to quote a 'standard' that allows you to compare you calculated density against something to see how good a job each instrument did.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comparing uncertainty in length measurements   Comparing uncertainty in length measurements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comparing uncertainty in length measurements
Page 1 of 1