Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
acbash

Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Empty
PostSubject: Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy   Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:14 pm

The spec sheets for the strain gauge don't appear to list any specific accuracy and resolution, unless it is called by another name or derived from another value... It appears that the data sheets only give a range for strain, ohms, and resistance but no uncertainties. Should we assume the strain gauge is completely accurate? And where would the resolution of the measurements come from?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy   Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

The resolution uncertainty is again, as in lab 1, a product of the data acquisition system you are using so you'll calculate that in a similar fashion. Remember as a simplification, because the DAQ is 24 bits, it's more likely that your resolution error will just be tied to the last significant digit that the LabVIEW interface outputs.

It's a little bit tricky to come up with the accuracy error associated with the strain gage, but there's actually a formula in the Lab 2 lecture that talks about the internal workings of the quarter-bridge strain gage everyone was using. You'll find that the accuracy of the strain gage is related to the accuracy of the gage factor, which you do have quoted on the spec sheet.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
acbash

PostSubject: Re: Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy   Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks Mr. Overload. Where do we find input and excitation voltage for the relation, then?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy   Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 12:16 am

I think that might be a bit outside the scope of the lab...the only thing they really gave you was the accuracy on the gage factor and that equation so I would use that.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy   Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strain Gauge Resolution and Accuracy
Page 1 of 1