Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Temperature uncertainty

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CV5 Yorktown

CV5 Yorktown

Temperature uncertainty Empty
PostSubject: Temperature uncertainty   Temperature uncertainty Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 pm

How do we find the uncertainty in precision for the temperature test since we only have one value for each data point (per instrument)? Also is there specs we can look at to find the accuracy uncertainty for the instruments?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Temperature uncertainty   Temperature uncertainty Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm

As mentioned during the lab, the reason for taking multiple measurements of everything is so you can always calculate a precision error. For the thermocouple, it actually outputs a standard deviation for you already at each data point (this is one of the columns in the text file), however for the thermometer, you would need multiple measurements to get an average and standard deviation. The overarching theme of this course is that you absolutely always want to take repeated readings for any measured quantity in all the labs.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Temperature uncertainty   Temperature uncertainty Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 1:01 pm

As far as finding specs for all the instruments, those are all uploaded to CTools in the Resources section, Lab 1 folder.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Temperature uncertainty   Temperature uncertainty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Temperature uncertainty
Page 1 of 1