Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Uncertainty Calculations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ethanhal

Uncertainty Calculations Empty
PostSubject: Uncertainty Calculations   Uncertainty Calculations Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Do we need to calculate the uncertainty for all of the load, stress and strain values that we got from the lab or do we assume that there is no uncertainty in those values?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

Uncertainty Calculations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uncertainty Calculations   Uncertainty Calculations Icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm

There is ALWAYS uncertainty when you take experimental measurements.

You will definitely want to report your elastic modulus, yield strength, and ultimate tensile strength with an uncertainty (the tensile strength precision uncertainty will come from using the other lab sections' data).

As for your stress-strain curves...it's probably just ok to include one set of error bars on the figures that represent the uncertainty of the whole curve (it should be reasonably constant over the entire range of strain). You'll have 3 sources of uncertainty as always...accuracy error comes from the noise in the signal that you might have had to remove via filtering, etc. (this you will probably just have to estimate and likely will be small), resolution error from the analog to digital conversion (same as the resolution error of the Instron in lab 1) and you could quantify precision error using the data from your lab section (the two curves won't be exactly the same).
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com

Uncertainty Calculations
Page 1 of 1