Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Uncertainty calculations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ethanhal

Uncertainty calculations Empty
PostSubject: Uncertainty calculations   Uncertainty calculations Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am

How would you calculate uncertainty for the yield strength and PQ since you graphed the plots and used a line to find where it intersects the graph to get these values. Would you include the error in finding the point using matlab and the error with using the equation for the line which doesn't give you an exact value for the yield strength or PQ or do you just assume that the error in these methods is zero?
Back to top Go down
CV5 Yorktown

CV5 Yorktown

PostSubject: Re: Uncertainty calculations   Uncertainty calculations Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 am

Using the (max slope - min slope)/2 formula can give you the uncertainty in the slope (see ctools "error analysis" last page). Using that I was able to get PQ with around 1% uncertainty, which agrees with what the ASTM E399 (section 8.4) wanted. I'm not sure the recommended way we are supposed to find the uncertainty, but that should be one way to do it...
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertainty calculations   Uncertainty calculations Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Yep, the error analysis stuff on Ctools talks about finding the uncertainty in the slope of a line which will factor into your uncertainty in Pq.

Remember for the yield strength you can actually get a precision error, because you have data from three lab sections.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncertainty calculations   Uncertainty calculations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uncertainty calculations
Page 1 of 1