Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Linear portion of P vs disp curve

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mtetlow

Linear portion of P vs disp curve Empty
PostSubject: Linear portion of P vs disp curve   Linear portion of P vs disp curve Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm

I have come to the realization that the slope of the load vs. displacement curve is very sensitive to which "linear" portion you use. For example, on the 1/4" fracture test for lab section 4, the value of the slope varies from -9000 to larger than -11000 depending on which points on the linear portion you use. The problem is that with the large slopes, the PQ intersect becomes significantly less than Pmax, which would make our tests invalid. I will use roughly the first half of the linear portion for this report, but the ASTM guideline recommends basing the slope off the initial linear portion, which is significantly steeper than the middle of the "linear portion". I assume this will be no problem?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

Linear portion of P vs disp curve Empty
PostSubject: Re: Linear portion of P vs disp curve   Linear portion of P vs disp curve Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 12:37 am

This sounds fairly reasonable...just make sure to include an example plot with what you did and also explain in textual form where you took the linear portion of the plot to be located.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com

Linear portion of P vs disp curve
Page 1 of 1