Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

horizontal error bars in Matlab

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GSI Overlord
Admin

horizontal error bars in Matlab Empty
PostSubject: horizontal error bars in Matlab   horizontal error bars in Matlab Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I've had a number of questions about horizontal error bars on Matlab plots. To this point you have probably been able to get away without having them because your errors in the abscissa have been negligible...not so on Lab 5 however, as you will find there is a decent amount of uncertainty in the entropy on your T-S diagrams.

Unfortunately, the Matlab plotting library has a number of deficiencies (in my opinion, anyways), one of which is omissions of a function to create x-axis error bars automatically like you can do with the function call errorbar. In order to plot these, you will have one of three options:

1) Use another utility to do your plots (not Excel!)
2) Find a script online that someone else has written to do horizontal error bars in Matlab
3) Write your own script to perform this function

If you choose option 3, the good news is that this code can be very simply implemented in about 5 lines (I know because I went back to my office after lecture and sat down and wrote it out). I'm not going to post this on CTools because I do want to make sure everyone is trying to do this work for themselves...

...however, if you find yourselves stuck after working on it this weekend, I will help you out with this code in office hours on Monday and Tuesday (so I will make sure that everyone has this capability). I'm only hesitant to just post it up to CTools so the people that may have already done the work feel cheated that I just gave it away to everyone else. Rest assured though, if you can't get it working, I'll help you out with the particulars of the Matlab code.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
alfarmer

PostSubject: Re: horizontal error bars in Matlab   horizontal error bars in Matlab Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Regarding option 1, you say not to use Excel but don't offer an explanation why. Is there a particular reason why you don't want us using Excel? I know how to easily fulfill all of the requirements for this lab's plots using Excel, including the addition of vertical and horizontal error bars and manipulation of formatting to make it all look good.
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: horizontal error bars in Matlab   horizontal error bars in Matlab Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 5:55 pm

The explanation (or, at least the best one I can give) is that TechCom and the professors have explicitly mentioned throughout the semester that Excel plots are not acceptable for the lab reports. That's not my rule...it's the rule for the class we all have to deal with.
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: horizontal error bars in Matlab   horizontal error bars in Matlab Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

horizontal error bars in Matlab
Page 1 of 1