Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2012 ME 395 - GSI Josh Lacey

This is a discussion forum for Josh Lacey's lab sections of Fall 2012 ME 395.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

steady state error

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ethanhal

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 10:35 pm

When we have to plot steady state error versus the proportional gain, how do we find the error in the steady state error.
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 2:23 am

For the model, the uncertainty will be due to the error in the open loop gain K. For the experimental curve, the uncertainty will be from precision error (you are taking an average to determine the steady state speed from your plot, so this introduces precision error).
Back to top Go down
http://fall2012me395.forumotion.com
ethanhal

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 4:13 pm

Alright thank you. Also what exactly do we need to say when we compare the model to the experimental data?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm

You basically just need to make a comment about what range of proportional gains where the 1st order model assumption is valid (by looking at how close the model matches the experimental data). Obviously at very low gains, the model and experimental will be close together, whereas they won't match at all for higher gains.
Back to top Go down
ethanhal

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

Alright so just to clarify, do the points that are very close to the model imply that it's a valid first order system?
Back to top Go down
GSI Overlord
Admin

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 pm

In general, the better that any model matches the experiments, the better that model describes the experimental system. Your assessment of the valid range of proportional gains where the 1st order model you have can capture the dynamics of the system will be where the modeled and experimental values match up better (if the dynamics of the experiment are truly 1st order, then the model should be able to capture that and match the experimental data).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

steady state error Empty
PostSubject: Re: steady state error   steady state error Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steady state error
Page 1 of 1